We recognise that moving from a primary setting to a large secondary school can be daunting, we are determined to ensure all of our new students are supported throughout this process so that the transition is as smooth as possible.
We run the following transition events throughout the year:
- Year 4 Pirate Day (range of fun ‘Pirate themed’ activities across a range of subjects hosted at John Spence)
- Year 4, 5 and 6 Languages, Maths and Technology Lessons (staff from John Spence delivering lessons to students in primary schools throughout the school year)
- Year 5 Challenge Day (each primary school competes as part of a team in a range of activities designed to challenge the student’s problem solving, communication and teamwork skills hosted at an external venue)
- Year 5 and 6 Open Evening (an opportunity to visit John Spence, look at different subjects and meet key staff)
- Year 6 Transition Days (two days where our new Year 7 students will have the opportunity to come together and take part in a range of lessons and activities.
- Year 6 Transition Evening (an opportunity for our new Year 7 students / parents to meet key staff at John Spence, gain further information about the school as well as meet your child’s Year 7 form tutor)
- Our SENCO works closely with the appropriate schools, families and individual students where there are additional needs which we need to be aware of